AWS Route 53 - Health Checks
3 web instances in different AZs.
- For each instance create a health checks with the following properties:
- Name it after the AZ where the instance resides
Failure threshold should be 5
- Edit the security group of one of your instances and remove HTTP rules.
- Did it change the status of the health check?
- Go to Route 53
- Click on “Health Checks” in the left-side menu
- Click on “Create health check”
- Insert the name: us-east-2
- What to monitor: endpoint
- Insert the IP address of the instance
- Insert the endpoint /health if your web instance supports that endpoint
- In advanced configuration, set Failure threshold to 5
- Click on “next” and then on “Create health check”
Repeat steps 1-9 for the other two instances you have
- Go to security group of one of your instances
- Click on “Actions” -> Edit inbound rules -> Delete HTTP based rules
- Go back to health checks page and after a couple of seconds you should see that the status becomes “unhealthy”